10 Tips for Teens and their Families to Navigate the Holiday Season
in a Healthier Way
As we approach the holiday season, I wanted to share 10 tips for teens and their families on how to navigate the festive celebrations to avoid the unnecessary drama of overeating and gaining weight during the Holidays.
Use this list as a guide for Mindful Eating Strategies but choose only what works for you and your family.
- 1Moderation in Holiday Eating Embark on the holiday journey with moderation at its core. You can try everything you like, just consider having a smaller amount. Go for the small plate, instead of the big plate.
- 2Balanced Plate NutritionWhen you choose your food, try to include a variety of food options, such as protein, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and healthy fats.
- 3Stay HydratedBy keeping yourself well- hydrated, you avoid confusing thirst for hunger and you are less likely to over-eat.
- 4Meal planning for HolidaysPrepare for holiday gatherings by planning your meals in advance, making Smart Food Choices that align with both your taste preferences and your health goals.
- 5Choose WiselyPractice Mindful Eating Strategies. Select foods you genuinely enjoy, with an emphasis on those with less added sugars and saturated fats, fostering overall well-being. If there is a side-dish you don’t like, do not eat it!
- 6Stay ActiveWhether it's a gym session, a morning walk, or a post-meal stroll, exercise enhances Insulin Sensitivity and regulates your blood sugar levels, which can decrease your cravings.
- 7Be Mindful of Sugary DrinksOpt for alternatives like water, aligning your choices with your wellness goals during the holiday season. Even sugar-free soda can have an adverse effect on your cravings for more sugar.
- 8Opt for Healthy SnacksSwap out processed snacks for Healthy Snack Alternatives. Choose fresh fruit, nuts, or yogurt, or consider forgoing snacks altogether if you are satisfied from the main meal.
- 9Include Colorful FoodsEmbrace a variety of foods rich in vitamins and minerals for a well-rounded, nutritious holiday diet.
- 10Have fun with friends and family! Good relationships reduce our stress levels, which helps regulate our stress hormones, which helps with food digestion and fat storage.
I hope these tips are helpful to maintain a Holiday Season Wellness.
Wishing you a joyful and health-conscious holiday season!